Guidelines for Submitting 2017 Proposals
Forty-First Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October 5th - 8th, 2016
Submission of Proposals for Individual Papers or Entire Panels
- All papers and panels must be submitted via the GSA website.
- All prospective participants, including moderators and commentators, must be paid members of the German Studies Association for the current year.
- All papers and panel titles must conform to the style guidelines of either The Chicago Manual of Style or Historische Zeitschrift.
- Papers in both English and German are welcome.
- The submission deadline is February 15, 2017, at midnight Eastern Standard Time.
- Organizers of entire sessions should submit a 300-500 word session description, with 350-600 word abstracts for each paper in the session.
- Individual paper submitters should submit a 350-600 word abstract.
- Please indicate, using the drop-down menu, the field/area/chronological period to which you wish your session or paper to be assigned.
- For assistance with the online submission process or with dues payment, first contact Elizabeth Fulton at the GSA Help Desk.
Rules for Presenters
- No individual may undertake more than one "presenter role," defined as giving a paper or participating in a seminar. Participating in a roundtable is not considered a presenter role.
- No individual may undertake more than two roles altogether, including a presenter role. Thus, an individual may give a paper and offer commentary on a separate panel. No individual may present two papers, nor may any individual participate in a seminar and present a paper.
- Individuals may both present a paper (or participate in a seminar) and participate in one roundtable.
- An individual who has been accepted to a seminar may not withdraw in order to submit a paper.
Composition of Panels
- A complete panel must comprise a moderator, a commentator and no fewer than three and no more than four papers. Incomplete panels may be submitted, but their acceptance and/or eventual composition then becomes the purview of the Program Committee.
- Graduate students may not serve as commentators and there may not be more than two graduate student papers on any panel.
- There may not be more than two individuals on any panel from the same institution.
- Co-authored papers are permitted, but each presentation is limited to two co-presenters. A co-presentation counts as one presentation role for each speaker, for scheduling purposes.
- Proposals for panel series must be limited to no more than four related panels.
Requests and fees for audio and/or visual equipment
- All future GSA Conference rooms will be equipped with LCD projectors. These projectors do not have sound support. Please see below if your presentation will require sound.
- Individual use of these projectors requires payment of a US $20 A/V fee due at the time of registration.
- Presenters requiring separate sound equipment must request it during the submission process and provide an explanation for their request. Assignment of panels to rooms specially equipped for sound is at the discretion of the Program Director or the Executive Director.
- The Program Director and the Executive Director reserve the right to move papers from one session to another at their discretion.
- New papers may not be substituted in cases of participant withdrawal. All papers presented must undergo formal vetting and approval from the Program Committee.
Withdrawal from the Conference
- Individuals withdrawing from the conference after acceptance of their papers and/or panels will not have their fee for membership in the GSA refunded.
- All individuals withdrawing from the conference must inform the GSA. Please contact Elizabeth Fulton at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your absence.
- Anyone who cancels after 1 July for any reason other than medical or family emergency will not be permitted to submit another proposal for two years.
- Lack of travel funding is not a valid reason for withdrawal. All non-North Americans are eligible for our travel grants, and there is no deadline for application.
- Registration fees for cancellations will be refunded, but will incur a cancellation penalty of 50% of the fee. Exceptions may be made for illness or other serious and unforeseen circumstances. No refunds are available for cancellations after 10 September. For more information, contact Elizabeth Fulton at email@example.com.