GSA Travel Grants for non-North American Members
The 2023 application cycle for GSA Travel Grants for non-North American Members will officially open when the preliminary conference program has been posted to the main conference page in late spring/early summer.
The GSA welcomes non-North American members to its annual conferences, and it can provide financial support as a fund of last resort for a very small number of non-North American participants.
Scholars who seek such support are expected to have applied to other organizations, such as the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (DAAD) or the Austrian Cultural Forum New York (ACFNY); see below. Should they be unable to obtain funding elsewhere, the GSA can reimburse recipients for a maximum of US$1500 for airfare and hotel costs. It is expected that the recipient will stay in the conference hotel. Should reimbursement prove a financial or logistical burden, other arrangements may be made on a case-by-case basis.
Applications consist of
- a form submission [a link to the online application form will appear here when the application cycle for the current year opens] that includes
- a brief description of the participant's role(s) in the conference
- a copy of the official GSA email confirming that their submission for conference participation has been accepted
- evidence that all potential sources of funding in their home country have been exhausted or are not applicable
- a current CV or Lebenslauf (submission instructions included on application form)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. There is no fixed deadline for applications; however, members are urged to apply as soon as they can demonstrate that they have exhausted all funding possibilities in their home countries after receiving official GSA confirmation of their accepted participation.
Recipients may not receive funding in two consecutive years.
DAAD Travel Support
The DAAD is pleased to announce that we will again be able to facilitate funding for travel commencing after July 1, 2023.
On 1 March 2023 the call for applications will go online, and the DAAD portal will open for new applications. We ask for your understanding that in the program line "Conference Travels", we need an application period of 4 months for processing and decision and that we cannot reduce this period. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our contact persons listed below as of 1 March 2023.
- Employment or matriculation as a Ph.D. student (Promovierende/r) at a German university
- Residence in Germany or commuters to Germany from border areas (aus dem grenznahen Ausland)
Our DAAD-Infocenter consultants will assist you with questions on the call for applications and the documents required. They will be available by phone at (+49) (0)228-882 180 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Mondays to Thursdays between 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m., and 2:00–4:00 p.m. MEZ, and on Fridays between 9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m MEZ.
Our DAAD Portal Service consultants will assist you with technical questions. They will be available by phone at (+49) (0)228-882 8888 or email@example.com, Mondays to Fridays from 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m., and from 2:00–4:00 p.m. MEZ.
Austrian Cultural Forum New York (ACFNY) Travel Grants
The 2022 application cycle for ACFNY grants has closed; information about the 2023 cycle will be posted here once updated information becomes available.
The Austrian Cultural Forum New York (ACFNY) and the German Studies Association (GSA) are happy to announce that there will be limited funds available to support selected young Austrian Studies scholars who have been confirmed as participants in this year’s conference of the German Studies Association which will be held in Houston, TX, Sept. 15–18, 2022.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years.
- Applicants must not have received any travel grant from the ACFNY in the past.
- Applicants who receive financial support from other governmental Austrian institutions to cover travel and accommodation costs will not be considered.
- The funds are intended for Austrian Studies scholars who are either completing an appropriate advanced degree or who have completed that degree within the past three years.
- Austrian Studies scholars from North America as well as from outside North America are eligible to apply for these funds; Austrian citizenship or residency in Austria is not necessary.
Applications from scholars working in contemporary Austrian Studies (since 1945) will be given preferential treatment.
Depending on the number of accepted applications and budgetary circumstances, the travel grant comprises up to $400 (for scholars from North America) and up to $800 (for scholars from outside North America) to offset travel costs.
Applications must be emailed to the Austrian Cultural Forum New York/ACFNY no later than 15 June 2022. Applicants should send both an abstract of the paper which they submitted to the GSA and a curriculum vitae. Successful applicants will be informed by 30 June 2022.
The grants will be awarded in person at the German Studies Association Annual Conference. Stipends will be paid in check or transferred to an Austrian bank account (Austrian residents and holders of bank accounts in Austria only).