CALL FOR PROPOSALS: GERMAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE
The German Studies Association (GSA) will hold its 47th Annual Conference from 5-8 October, 2023 at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal in Montréal, Quebec.
The Program Committee cordially invites proposals on any aspect of DACHL (German, Austrian, Swiss, Liechtenstein) studies, including (but not limited to) history, Germanistik, film, art history, political science, anthropology, musicology, religious studies, sociology, and cultural studies.
Proposals for entire sessions, for interdisciplinary presentations, and for series of panels are strongly encouraged (a series is limited to no more than four panels). Individual paper proposals are also welcome – though experienced scholars are encouraged to develop full session submissions that can help build scholarly networks. The call for seminar proposals has been distributed separately.
Please see the submissions guidelines for ‘traditional’ papers, sessions, and roundtables, for which the submission portal will open on 2 January 2023. The deadline for proposals will be Monday, 27 March at 11:59pm PDT.
Please note that all proposed presenters must be members of the German Studies Association. Information on membership is available here. The GSA submission system will not allow non-members (or expired members) to submit.
In order to avoid complications later, the Program Committee would like to reiterate two extremely important guidelines here:
- No individual at the GSA conference may give more than one paper or appear on the program in more than two separate roles. (Participating in a seminar or in the Emerging Scholars Workshop counts as delivering a paper.)
- If a paper proposal requires high-quality sound equipment, that justification must be made in detail at the time of submission.
For more information, feel free to consult previous conference programs. Once again, detailed submission guidelines are here. The Program Director is also happy to answer inquiries at any time.
We look forward to your ideas!
2023 submission calendar:
- January 2: Submission portal opens for ALL submissions (seminar proposals as well as papers, panels, and roundtables)
- January 16 (11:59pm PST): Seminar proposals due
- February 10: List of approved seminars posted to GSA website
- March 3 (11:59pm PST): Seminar participation applications due
- March 13: Seminar participants are notified
- March 27 (11:59pm PDT): Regular submissions due
- Early May: Notifications for regular submissions sent